Every Day Offers a New Opportunity. Choose Life.

 

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

      - Abbie Hoffman

As I pondered this quote, I felt that something in addition should be added. 

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Choose Accordingly." 

Every day is precious and brings us closer to our transition from this life.  While this thought may make some uncomfortable, it is a fact that cannot be denied. I realized this more fully in 2009 after my father transitioned. (I referenced the word “transitioned” versus “died (ceased to live)” because I believe that this life is only a small part of our eternal existence). After my father’s transition, I became acutely aware of my own mortality. I realized that my own time on earth is short. I made the conscious decision that I would live my life more fully and intentional. I also decided that I would not live a life of regrets or at the end of my time on earth that I would regret not doing something. I have to live at my maximum potential. Once I made that decision, I immediately went to work and made great progress.  Here are a few of the things I was able to do within ten years:

  1. I began my search (and found) for(the) real “truth” of my identity and about Christianity.
  2. I started and eventually completed my MBA.
  3. I finally finished my first fiction novel. 
  4. I accepted a challenging career assignment in another state.
  5. I opened myself to deeper relationships (not always the best, but many lessons learned).
  6. I started a full-time business.

Sharing my goals is not to boast on the things I have done, because all of them had their own struggles and hadn’t turned out the way I had originally intended. The point is that I did it and thankful for the experience. For example, I had been toying with that novel for ten years before publishing it. Those relationships all ended, some positively, others not so much, but I was glad that I allowed myself to be open to the possibility. I am sharing this to encourage you to embrace your “possibilities.”


Why it matters.

While the thought of considering your mortality can seem morbid, the goal of the question is to be purposeful in life. The intention is to empower us to make thoughtful and intentional decisions to live our lives to the fullest and without fear. My faith and my heritage as an Israelite have been a guiding light for my journey. I have relearned scriptures and now am able to better understand the true meaning. Knowing who I have allowed me to stand taller because my history didn’t start with the “slave-trade.”  I’ll speak more on this on another blog. Making the choice to live my life more purposefully has allowed me to move more freely.

What will you do with the time that's been allocated to your time on Earth?

What could you accomplish if you were to live your life more intentionally? Who could you help?  What is keeping you from living life intentionally? I encourage you to make a contribution that makes your own life and someone else's better. It doesn't have to be some sensational theatrical effort. It can be a simple smile, an affirmative nod when passing someone, or a greeting when walking down the street. It could be making breakfast for a loved one. It could be simply telling someone how much you appreciated their effort in something. The point is Be better. Do Better. Love Harder and Live Purposefully. The first step is to make the choice and then move forward. The choice is yours.

What are you going to do today to make your life more meaningful?

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is waiting for you to fulfill your Purpose? Moving Towards Your Purpose In Spite of the Fear.

A Purpose Revealed. Is this the Year You Pursue Yours?

Today I Cried. It Will Get Better.